New Milford Hospital and Danbury Hospital Finalize Affiliation
In September 2009, New Milford Hospital and Danbury Hospital announced their decision to begin formal discussion for a potential affiliation between the two hospitals. Both hospitals are committed to working together for the betterment of the community by exploring ways to create an integrated regional health care delivery system focused on providing the highest quality and most cost-effective care. In the current climate of economic uncertainty and reform, hospitals across the country are in conversations just like these to explore possibilities for improving the delivery of healthcare. Both Hospital President/CEOs signed the affiliation agreement on July 1, receiving regulatory approval to move forward with the plans in September 2010. The affiliation, forming a new health system known as Western Connecticut Health Network, officially began on October 1, 2010, which was the start of a new fiscal year for both hospitals.
A Planetree Hospital
In 2008, New Milford Hospital was selected by Planetree, a nonprofit membership organization known for its pioneering work with hospitals and health centers, to develop and implement patient-centered care in healing environments. This multi-year process will build on the Hospital's longstanding reputation for both high quality and exceptionally compassionate patient care by incorporating into its facilities and programs the Planetree focus on healing and nurturing body, mind and spirit. The Hospital will work to further create an environment that emphasizes not only healing and recovery, but continued wellness through a focus on disease prevention for both patients and their caregivers.
Planetree principles promote the development and implementation of innovative models of health care that personalize, humanize and demystify the health care experience for patients and their families. With more than 140 member organizations around the world, including both major academic medical centers and community hospitals, Planetree's philosophy includes the beliefs that:
- we are human beings, caring for other human beings
- we are all caregivers
- caregiving is best achieved through kindness and compassion
- safe, accessible, high quality care is fundamental to patient centered care
- a holistic approach will meet people's needs of body, mind and spirit
- families, friends and loved ones are vital to the healing process
- access to understandable health information can empower individuals to participate in their health
- the opportunity for individuals to make personal choices related to their care is essential
- physical environments can enhance healing, health and well-being
- illness can be a transformational experience for patients, families and caregivers
For more information, visit www.planetree.org