One Day Surgery Checklist
Pre-Operative Instructions for Surgical Patients
A staff member at New Milford Hospital will contact each patient the night before his or her surgery. Instructions are specific to each patient; however, these basic guidelines apply to all patients who are scheduled for surgery.
- Patients are called the evening before surgery (after 5 pm) to verify their arrival time for surgery. It is very important that you arrive ON TIME. Upon arrival to the hospital, proceed to the admission desk on the One-Day Surgery Unit located on the 2nd floor.
- Do not EAT or DRINK anything after midnight. You may be instructed to take some of your regular medications prior to coming to the hospital. You may take these with a SIP of water.
- Bring your insurance, Medicare or Medicaid cards with you.
- Leave all valuables at home.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing.
- Refrain from using make-up or perfume.
- Remove all piercings. Do not glue dentures as they may need to be removed.
- Be sure your ride home is available to pick you up when you are ready to be discharged.
- If you become ill the night before surgery or the morning of surgery, please call your surgeon.
- If you are under the age of 18, you must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.