Here is what you can expect upon arrival at the New Milford Hospital Emergency Department:
Public access will be through the new Elm Street entrance, allowing ambulance-only access through the historic entrance at the back of the building.
- A receptionist will ask you for some basic information (unless your care requires immediate intervention in the emergency department).
- You’ll next see a nurse who will evaluate your symptoms, ask more questions and check your vital signs to determine the severity of your condition. This process is called "triage."
- Everyone who comes to the emergency department will be seen, regardless of insurance coverage or ability to pay.
- If any tests (such as blood tests, X-rays or heart tracings) are performed, some waiting time will be necessary to process the tests and report the results.
- When the test results are received and the treatment is completed, the physician or physician assistant will discuss your condition and make recommendations. You will be discharged home or admitted to the hospital, depending on your condition.
- If you are going home, the nurse will review your discharge instructions with you. Please feel free to ask any questions regarding your care before you leave. We want to make sure you understand your discharge instructions.